Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Futbol, Football, Soccer?

Thoughts on the World Cup: So far it's been quite fascinating! I must admit, I've never really been much of a soccer fan, but I've been trying to open up my sports mind. I've totally been one of those Americans who has never been able to appreciate the sport- how can a scoreless game be exciting? That just sounds like TERRIBLE playing, right? But after reading some articles on it, I feel like I've been able to see the art of it. How every kick can leave you on the edge of your seat, because it could be the difference between a win, loss, or draw. Maybe the Europeans have been on to something this entire time?


I also think it's kinda sad how USA is the kid that all the other kids pick on. Even though we may be bigger than some of the other ones, we're not as popular as they are, so we're still the one being ganged up on. I guess I never realized how much US Soccer (excuse me, football) is a joke to other countries. I mean, we're coming in here pretty well ranked. Within the top 15 of 32 teams- if I can do math, that is the top 50%. While we may not have as much of a focus on it within the US, with American football easily being the most appreciated sport, we're still not terrible. How big are we? What's our population? Certainly we can put together a decent team out of all those millions of citizens. I really enjoyed watching the much anticipated US/England match. Say whatever you want, I feel like the US definitely held their own against England. No one can deny that the game came down to the keepers, and I can definitely understand why England was upset over the US goal, BUT every member of a team comes together to make a whole (unless we're talking about former Dallas Cowboys from stupid Ohio State). And at that moment the team failed and the US succeeded. Enough said. And really, are y'all seriously so upset that ya have to make low headlines like "Green's Goal: One Mistake the Yanks Won't be Complaining About". YOU'RE COMPANY BRITISH PETROLEUM IS RUINING OUR GULF. How can we NOT be upset over that? One little soccer game? Not as big a deal, thank you very much.


But maybe that's because the draw was the equivalent to a win for the US and a loss for England. Suck it up; we're here to play- and we're here to stay! Although I must admit I think my favorite moment was before the game. When the US national anthem was played before both teams and countries. Seriously, our national anthem is basically another whole other screw you to England! Seriously. It is. Wonder how many of their people actually know that or think about it. I mean, I don't really think of other countries' anthems, but of course, none of them are about us! At least as far as I know?


Ok- on another sports note. I get to meet DeMarcus Ware tomorrow! I can not even explain how freaking excited I am for this! It's all part of my internship, which I think is awesome! I don't even think I can explain on here how much of a Dallas Cowboys fan I am. I used to have an Emmitt Smith poster on my wall, I chose to do a presentation on any celebrity over him, and will always remember the exact moment I was when he broke the all-time rushing yards. I still to this day go out of my way to watch their game every Sunday and get super depressed when I can't. I'm a huge fan. Just take my word on it.


So apparently quite a few NFL players came together to make a book for a good cause. It's called NFL Dads Dedicated to Daughters. It's personal stories from players on the relationship with their daughters to help bring an end and awareness to Domestic Abuse. Well, Ware is doing a signing in the DFW area (actually like 10 mins away from my house), and I was asked to go to get some books signed that we can use in the future for auctions and raffles to raise money. Although I only need to get 4, I'm going to get another one on the side for my own personal collection. Also, cameras are going to be a must. I reaaaaaaaally hope I'll be able to take a photo with him!


Anyways, hitting up the ATX this weekend! Definitely can't wait! Shall be fun!

2 comments:

lancaster.sarah56 said...

I love hearing about what you are doing! The NFL book makes me think of something I read in a newspaper today, comparing human behavior to some especially nurturing animals--Men Behaving Dadly.
So excited for you to get to meet a Cowboy! Hope you get a photo as well as a signature. Be sure to post it for all of us to enjoy.

Love,
Mom

Dad said...

ATX?